Work with us
Here at BirdLife Malta we pride ourselves on being an international team working towards conserving Europe’s migratory birds in Malta. If you’re passionate about the environment and conservation, and would like to join our expanding team, then check out our current vacancies below.
European Solidarity Corps vacancy
Dates: 1st April 2020 – 31st March 2021 (fixed term of 12 months)
Costs: Voluntary position, but all living costs will be covered and accommodation provided
Number of positions (1):
- Education Assistant
BirdLife Malta is looking for an engaging and enthusiastic person to inspire, involve and educate children, young people and adults about birds and the natural world. As an Education Assistant you will be involved in planning, delivering and running events, visiting schools to give educational talks, developing new resources and administration of our programmes.
You will also support the wider work of the education team including international education projects, development of wildlife gardens, teacher training and nature reserve visitor engagement. You will be an ambassador for BirdLife Malta ensuring that we provide the opportunity for as many children, young people and adults to connect with nature as possible.
Those who have previously participated in a long-term Erasmus+ European Voluntary Service (EVS) scheme or long-term Erasmus+ Volunteering scheme are not eligible to apply for these positions.
- Aged 18-30
- A citizen of one of the programme countries
- Friendly, enjoy meeting new people and keen to experience a different culture
- Organised and able to meet deadlines
- Able to demonstrate a high standard of communication and people engagement skills
- Keen to learn about environmental education and how to engage people with nature
- Willing to learn with an adaptable approach in line with the needs of a charitable organisation’s structure, including working flexible and occasional long hours
The European Solidarity Corps programme will provide you:
- Accommodation in a shared room close to our offices in Ta’ Xbiex/in the northern part of the island close to our nature reserves, or with host families
- Coverage of all living costs such as electricity, water, gas, and internet
- Reimbursement of the flight and other transport costs (bus, train, metro, visa) to/from Malta, up to a certain limit
- €300 monthly allowance
- Private CIGNA insurance
Description of duties:
There is the opportunity for the volunteer to gain a wide range of experience and skills across the organisation. Specific duties for this position are as follows:
- Develop creative activities and ideas for engaging children with nature to be implemented during events and other engagement opportunities
- Deliver education programmes in schools through educational talks and encouraging outdoor learning in school grounds
- Plan and organise educational events throughout the year
- Deliver educational sessions for youth groups and any other requests
- Administration work including recording school engagement with our education programme Dinja Waħda and booking school field visits at our nature reserves
Wider education team
- Support the work of the wider education team including international projects, wildlife gardens in school grounds and other community engagement
- Support the delivery of teacher training workshops and school events
- Develop Klabb Ħuttaf membership offers and supporting delivery of programme
- Collaborate with Events Assistant to deliver a programme of events targeting families, children and youths.
- Develop visitor experience and engagement at all nature reserves
Administration and office communication
- Attend regular meetings with the Education Manager to review progress and plan ahead
- Attend regular education meetings
- Compile an end-of-year report for volunteering assistants
- Support the Education Manager with any additional administration tasks when requested
Please download and fill in the application form.
Completed applications should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: Application for European Solidarity Corps Education Assistant together with an updated CV. Please note that CVs without the application form filled in will not be considered.
We highly recommend that you visit our website at www.birdlifemalta.org for further information before applying.
Applications close on Monday 9th March 2020 at noon. Telephone/Skype interviews will take place shortly afterwards.
Please note that incomplete and/or late applications will not be taken into consideration.