Work with us
Here at BirdLife Malta we pride ourselves on being an international team working towards conserving Europe’s migratory birds in Malta. If you’re passionate about the environment and conservation, and would like to join our expanding team, then check out our current vacancies below. For more environmental jobs and volunteering see environmentjob.co.uk.
Nature Reserves Assistant Managing Warden
Job Title Nature Reserves Assistant Managing Warden (full-time)
Team Land Management
Location of Job Comino, Foresta 2000, Għadira Nature Reserve, Salina Nature Reserve and Simar Nature Reserve
Post Holder reports to Head of Land Management
Report to Post Holder Volunteering Assistants
Start date July-August 2022
Contract Length Two years
BirdLife Malta is responsible for implementing management plans for various sites, amongst which Comino, Foresta 2000, Għadira Nature Reserve, Salina Nature Reserve and Simar Nature Reserve. This full-time post will mean the ideal candidate will be entrusted with management and research work of these sites. Another important aspect of the job would be visitor engagement and the post will require the candidate to be able to deliver presentations, come up with innovative ideas to attract visitors as well as assist with the sale of merchandise. The post will also require attention to detail and accurate report-writing.
Filled in application forms should be sent by email to [email protected] quoting ‘Application for Nature Reserves Assistant Managing Warden’ by the deadline of Wednesday, 8th June 2022 at 10am. Please include a short cover letter/email and a recent CV.
Job Title Project Coordinator (full-time)
Location of Job BirdLife Malta Office
Post Holder reports to Head of Conservation
Reporting to Post Holder Temporary field worker and volunteer positions
Start date As soon as possible
Contract Length Three-year definite contract
BirdLife Malta is looking to recruit a new unique position as it embarks on a renewed initiative to collect data on Malta’s breeding and migratory birds. The position calls for passionate individuals who are ideally seasoned birdwatchers and who have experience in conducting bird censuses and have a flair in leading a team of field workers.
Candidates need to have good bird identification skills familiar with the avifauna one finds resident or migratory over the Maltese Islands, a proven record of data collection and keeping and good spoken English. Applicants without a driving licence will not be considered. Knowledge of Maltese language and scientific qualifications shall be considered as assets.
Filled in application forms should be sent by email to [email protected] quoting ‘Application for Project Coordinator’. CVs may be included.
Job Title Finance Administrator
Location of Job BirdLife Malta Office
Nature of Job Full-time
Post holder reports to Finance Manager
Reporting to Post Holder None
Overall Purpose of the Job
This full-time role supports two crucial areas of BirdLife Malta work: finance and LIFE project delivery. Half of the time this position will focus on ensuring finance transactions are effective. The rest of the time will focus on supporting the delivery of the new LIFE PanPuffinus! project through administrative support, financial administration and effective record-keeping.
50% of role:
To ensure that the finance procedures and transactions of BirdLife Malta are recorded efficiently and to make sure that they are adhered to and managed correctly by all members.
50% of role:
To provide administrative support to the new project LIFE PanPuffinus!
To liaise with project partners and collate information and,
To undertake financial administration and ensure proper record keeping for audits
Main Duties are split between:
Financial operations and Administration Erasmus+ ESC
- To deal with the financial transactions linked to membership including banking cheques, overseeing internet transactions, and ensuring direct debits are claimed
- To log all relevant transactions on finance software under the direction of the Finance Manager
- To prepare payments of all expenditure incurred, including ESC allowances
- To keep track of all donations received in the office by processing the donations, keeping records of all income through sales of merchandise received, and depositing cash income on a regular basis to the bank accounts.
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed.
- Accurate maintenance of petty cash accounts and fundraising income cash accounts, ensuring that balances reported agree with the physical cash held.
- Maintain the chart of accounts;
- To fill in Intrastat declaration;
- To fill in the VAT return;
- To assist the Finance Manager and the project manager in preparation and submission of any other reports of financial nature as may be required from time to time by the CEO;
- Assisting the project manager in purchasing of Equipment, including acquiring quotations;
- To post all income and expenditures into Sage on a monthly basis;
- To provide administrative assistance to staff and volunteers as required and as time allows;
- To liaise with the NA regarding ESC projects
LIFE Project Administration
- To provide the Project Manager with professional administrative support;
- To assist with the organisation of events, workshops and meetings;
- To assist in the preparation and production of reports for the Project Partners Steering Group and European Commission;
- To assist in the maintenance of the accounting and reporting systems necessary for running the LIFE Project;
- To help promote awareness of the aims, activities and results of the LIFE project;
- To reply to queries and requests for information;
- To assist Project Manager with time keeping records of staff and project partners (timesheet), development of progress report;
- Other duties as may be required by the Project Manager and Finance Manager.
- Reports to the Finance Manager on all finance matters.
- Assistance with banking transaction on behalf of the organisation, ensuring complete and concise reports when requested.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Finance Manager and/or the Project Manager.
We expect you to carry out your job responsibilities in an environmentally-aware manner, ensuring as little damage to the environment as possible. Our aim is to ensure all resources are utilised effectively and efficiently. You will be expected to apply ‘sound value for money’ principles in undertaking purchasing or supply of goods and services.
To apply please send an email to [email protected] together with a recent CV and a motivation letter by the deadline of 25th May 2022.