Work with us
Here at BirdLife Malta we pride ourselves on being an international team working towards conserving Europe’s migratory birds in Malta. If you’re passionate about the environment and conservation, and would like to join our expanding team, then check out our current vacancies below.
Erasmus+ Volunteering vacancy
Dates: 1st November 2018 – 31st October 2019 (fixed term of 12 months)
Costs: Volunteering opportunities, but all living costs will be covered and accommodation provided
Number of volunteering opportunities (2):
- 2 Nature Reserves Visitor Assistants
BirdLife Malta is looking for two full-time Nature Reserves Visitor Assistants to join their international team protecting birds and their habitats and inspiring and educating people about birds and nature in the Maltese Islands. The Visitor Assistants will be based at our nature reserves in Malta. Those who have previously participated in the Erasmus+ European Voluntary Service (EVS) scheme are NOT eligible to apply for these opportunities.
- Aged 18-30
- A citizen of one of these partner and programme countries: Italy, Spain, UK, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Jordan and Turkey
- Outgoing, friendly, sociable, and keen to experience a different culture
- Interested in bird conservation and/or environmental protection
- Interested in improving bird, flora and other taxa identification skills
- Interested in inspiring and educating people about birds and the natural world
- Willing to do hands-on conservation work ranging from fieldwork aimed at protection of wild birds from illegal killing to raising public awareness in events
- Willing to develop administration, time management, numeracy, and interpersonal skills
- Willing to learn with an adaptable approach in line with the needs of a charitable organisation’s structure, including working flexible and occasional long hours
The Erasmus+ Volunteering programme will provide you with:
- Accommodation in a shared room in the northern part of the island close to our nature reserves or with host families
- Coverage of all living costs such as electricity, water, gas, and internet
- Reimbursement of the flight and other transport costs (bus, train, metro, visa) up to a certain limit
- €300 monthly allowance
- Private CIGNA insurance
Description of duties:
There is the opportunity for the volunteer to gain a wide range of experience and skills across the organisation. Specific duties for this position are as follows:
|NATURE RESERVES VISITOR ASSISTANTS|
To assist in the opening of the reserve to the general public, working and ensuring visitors enjoy a pleasant experience. The chosen applicants will work at our nature reserves (Għadira, Simar, Foresta 2000 and Salina) reporting to the Site Warden and Reserves Manager.
- Assisting in opening BirdLife Malta’s nature reserves to the public in the afternoon/evening, including on weekends if necessary
- Setting up the display within the reception centre at the reserves
- Preparing the nature shop at the reserves
- Setting up binoculars before the reserve opening hours
- Greeting visitors at the reserves and giving a basic explanation about the nature reserve, its history, flora and fauna
- Managing a small shop and promoting sales whilst encouraging membership to BirdLife Malta
- Compiling visitor statistics and gathering feedback from visitors
- Participating in regular events held at the nature reserve with the aim of educating visitors towards more environmental appreciation
- Taking visitors around the reserve, which could entail walking on uneven terrain even during summer
As English is the most widely spoken language in Malta and volunteers will be requested to engage with visitors to the reserve who would be mainly English-speaking, it is important that the chosen candidate would be able to communicate well in English. Additional languages spoken are an asset. Training on the history of the sites together and the flora and fauna of the reserves will be provided.
Please download and fill in the application form.
Completed applications should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: Application for Nature Reserves Visitor Assistant together with an updated CV. Please note that CVs without the application form filled in will not be considered.
We highly recommend that you visit our website on www.birdlifemalta.org for further information before applying. The position is funded by Erasmus+.
Applications close on 21st September 2018. Telephone/Skype interviews will take place shortly afterwards.
Please note that incomplete and/or late applications will not be taken into consideration.