Work with us
Here at BirdLife Malta we pride ourselves on being an international team working towards conserving Europe’s migratory birds in Malta. If you’re passionate about the environment and conservation, and would like to join our expanding team, then check out our current vacancies below.
Erasmus+ European Voluntary Service Vacancies
Dates: 1st March 2018 – 28th February 2019 (fixed dates).
Costs: Voluntary positions, but all living costs will be covered and accommodation provided.
Number of positions (2):
- 1 software developer/IT administrator
- 1 nature reserves
BirdLife Malta is looking for new full-time voluntary assistants to join their international team protecting birds and their habitats and inspiring and educating people about birds and nature in the Maltese Islands. Volunteer assistants will be based in our offices and at our nature reserves in Malta. Those who have previously participated in the Erasmus+ European Voluntary Service (EVS) scheme are NOT eligible to apply for these positions.
- Aged 18-30
- A citizen of one of these partner countries: Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Territory of Ukraine as recognised by international law
- Outgoing, friendly, keen to meet new people, socialise, and experience a different culture
- Interested in bird conservation and/or environmental protection
- Interested in improving bird, flora and other taxa identification skills
- Interested in inspiring and educating people about birds and the natural world
- Willing to do hands-on conservation work ranging from fieldwork aimed at protection of wild birds from illegal killing to raising public awareness in events
- Willing to develop administration, time management, numeracy, and interpersonal skills
- Willing to learn and having an adaptable approach in line with the needs of a charitable organisation’s structure including working flexible and occasional long hours
- Physically fit (for essential fieldwork)
- Preferably possess a valid driving license
The EVS programme will provide you:
- Accommodation in a shared room near our premises in Ta’ Xbiex/in the northern part of the Island close to our nature reserves or with host families
- Coverage of all living costs such as electricity, water, gas, and internet
- Reimbursement of the flight and other transport costs (bus, train, metro, visa) up to a certain limit
- €300 monthly allowance
- Private CIGNA insurance
Description of duties:
There is the opportunity for each volunteer to gain a wide range of experience and skills across the organisation. Duties for each position are as follows:
|SOFTWARE DEVELOPER/IT ADMINISTRATOR (1 position)|
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s or a Master’s level of education in software programming and developing. Those with substantial practical experience only are also encouraged to apply. The chosen applicant should have an interest in nature and environment. The candidate has to have experience with PHP and C++ languages as well as a good command of English. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Software Developer will:
- Modify the website according to the organisation’s needs
- Set up CRM in order to transmit data to website and payment page
- Create a PC application that can effectively manage the internal database
- Develop the website for fundraising schemes with the Finance Manager and Administration Officer including payment procedures and processes
- Coordinate with the communications team in website development
- Help in the development of a fully-operational cloud sales management system (Dolicloud)
- Assist in creating and interfacing a comprehensive online payment system
- Assist other departments in effectively using the same systems (Paypal and Endeavour)
|NATURE RESERVES (1 position)|
To assist our wardens in various duties at our nature reserves of Għadira, Simar, Foresta 2000 and Salina reporting to site warden and reserves manager. A valid driving license and ability to drive in Malta is a must. The ideal candidate will be physically fit and able to handle tools and machinery required for on-site management with relevant qualifications relating to habitat management. Being qualified to handle birds and in possession of a ringing license or a trainee ringing license will be considered an asset.
- Assist in the delivery of the management plans for the Għadira and Simar Nature Reserves as guided by the reserve wardens – duties will include a mix of hard manual work to report writing
- Assist nature reserve wardens in daily duties concerning bird censuses and bird ringing activities at the nature reserves
- Assist in the rehabilitation, ringing and release of injured birds brought to the attention of BirdLife Malta
- Greet and engage with members of the public at our nature reserves in order to allow for a good visitor experience (this may include weekend work)
- Assist in the sales and delivery of stock to nature reserves
Please download and fill in the application form, making it clear which position you are interested in.
ONLY applicants from these partner countries will be considered: Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Territory of Ukraine as recognised by international law.
Completed applications should be returned to email@example.com with subject: Application for EVS Assistants (Position) e.g. Application for EVS Assistants (Nature Reserves) together with an updated CV. Please note that CVs without the application form filled in will not be considered.
Applications close on 31st January 2018. Telephone/Skype interviews will take place shortly afterwards.
Please note that incomplete and/or late applications will not be taken into consideration.