Ġonna Dinja Waħda are green spaces in school grounds that offer excellent opportunities for children to connect with nature. They help to:
- Improve biodiversity within schools through the planting and maintenance of native species and the installation of suitable habitats such as ponds, stone piles and insect homes
- Provide opportunities for hands-on experiences that lead to developing active citizens who will protect environmental integrity
- Demonstrate the effectiveness of outdoor education in improving student motivation, academic achievement and individual-level outcomes such as creativity, problem-solving, social skills and self-discipline.
- Create a framework within which students can construct their own learning
- Promote health benefits of green spaces in school grounds
- Showcase the value of green spaces as an integral part of school grounds