Date: Sunday, 10 December 2017
Time: 10:00 – 16:00
Location: Simar Nature Reserve
This Christmas event is going to be full of festive fun…it will be educational…and above all it will be held in an area surrounded by nature!
Is-Simar Nature Reserve in Xemxija will be hosting stands from different organisations and sustainable enterprises…there will also be workshops, games and activities especially for families and children, and a food stall with delicious Christmas treats!
This is the first time that BirdLife Malta will be holding a Christmas Nature Fair in one of its reserves and we have teamed up with a number of other like-minded organisations to share the festivities. Simar will be decorated for the occasion and showcasing the work of the organisations below with different exhibits, activities and installations:
- Malta National Aquarium will raise awareness about plastic and the importance of recycling with visual effects and interactive games. Children will hunt through the sand and discover the human impact of what is hidden beneath whilst explaining the dangers this has on our oceans/animals and US.
- Wasteserv Malta will explain how waste management can help our country to continue its move towards a sustainable future. A bird box exhibition will show how much of an impact our huge consumption of plastic is having on our environment, from the skies to the seas. The public can glance through the peep holes onto a shocking reality that each and every one of us has had a hand in creating.
- Koperattiva Kummerċ Ġust will focus on fair trade commerce, especially of tropical fruit, and farmers working conditions. With simple games, fun and appropriate for everyone, you can use your geography and observation skills. Products from the Fair Trade shop l-Arka will be sold during the event.
- Higher Youths Malta (Giovanni Curmi Higher Secondary) which is an informal group made up of teachers and students who have finished their studies in Biology, Geography or Environmental Education, will bring hands-on activities linked to recycling in order to engage young children to be active citizens. Waste materials as jars or milk cartons will be given a new life!
- Simply Organic will sell delicious and healthy 100% certified organic spices, seasoning mixes and baking flavors. It offers an unrivaled selection of organic seasonings and gives back part of the sales to support organic growers and the organic community.
- Dar Frate Jacoba will be selling home-made products grown in aid of homeless youth who find themselves on the edge of society. All products are grown in a permaculture setting at the centre of the Youth Alive Foundation in Marsaskala. These items include olives in brine, jams, dried herbs and delicious olive oil, cold pressed from hand-picked olives.
- Malta Playing Arts consists of around 60 artists and artisans living in Malta and Gozo who got together and created a voluntary initiative which sells artistic sets of playing cards to support charity organisation Happy Paws – an NGO which was founded in 2004 to assist people who help stray animals in Malta and Gozo. The first Charity Animal Clinic opened in 2008, and to date they have helped more than 50,000 animals around the Maltese Islands.
Our education team will also have seasonal craft activities and games for children:
- Christmas crafts
- Tree decorations
- Bird food garlands
- Scavenger hunts
- Quizzes, and
- Magnifying glasses
At 11am we shall also have a storytelling session jointly organised with the National Literacy Agency, with whom we hold a special relationship thanks to our weekly ‘Magic of Stories’ sessions held every Thursday at Simar.
During the event we shall also be offering the BirdLife Malta Christmas pack with our latest membership package offers which include books, magazines, pin badges, key chains and other souvenirs for those who join us before the end of the year.
The Christmas Nature Fair is an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and get closer to nature and wildlife during the winter season! At the same time those attending will be engaged with fun-filled activities and games related to the festive period.
So see you on December 10th at Simar!
- Free entrance, no need for booking
- Għadira Nature Reserve will be closed for the day
- Event will be cancelled only in case of adverse weather conditions