Work with us
Here at BirdLife Malta we pride ourselves on being an international team working towards conserving Europe’s migratory birds in Malta. If you’re passionate about the environment and conservation, and would like to join our expanding team, then check out our current vacancies below. For more environmental jobs and volunteering see environmentjob.co.uk.
European Solidarity Corps vacancies
Dates: 1st October 2020 – 30th September 2021 (fixed term of 12 months)
Costs: Voluntary positions, but all living costs will be covered and accommodation provided
Number of positions (2):
- Education Assistant
- Nature Reserves Visitor Assistant
BirdLife Malta is looking for new full-time volunteers to join their international team protecting birds and their habitats and inspiring and educating people about birds and nature in the Maltese Islands. Volunteers will be based in our offices and at our nature reserves in Malta. Those who have previously participated in a long-term Erasmus+ European Voluntary Service (EVS) scheme or long-term Erasmus+ Volunteering scheme are not eligible to apply for these positions.
- Aged 18-30
- A citizen of one of the programme countries
- Friendly, enjoy meeting new people and keen to experience a different culture
- Organised and able to meet deadlines
- Able to demonstrate a high standard of communication and people engagement skills
- Keen to learn about environmental education and how to engage people with nature
- Willing to learn with an adaptable approach in line with the needs of a charitable organisation’s structure, including working flexible and occasional long hours
The European Solidarity Corps programme will provide you:
- Accommodation in a shared room close to our offices in Ta’ Xbiex/in the northern part of the island close to our nature reserves, or with host families
- Coverage of all living costs such as electricity, water, gas, and internet
- Reimbursement of the flight and other transport costs (bus, train, metro, visa) to/from Malta, up to a certain limit
- €300 monthly allowance
- Private CIGNA insurance
Description of duties:
There is the opportunity for the volunteer to gain a wide range of experience and skills across the organisation. Specific duties for each position are as follows:
For this role BirdLife Malta is looking for an engaging and enthusiastic person to inspire, involve and educate children, young people and adults about birds and the natural world. As an Education Assistant you will be involved in planning, delivering and running events, visiting schools to give educational talks, developing new resources and administration of our programmes. Experience with early years would be an advantage but not essential.
You will also support the wider work of the education team including international education projects, development of wildlife gardens, teacher training and nature reserve visitor engagement. You will be an ambassador for BirdLife Malta ensuring that we provide the opportunity for as many children, young people and adults to connect with nature as possible.
- Develop creative activities and ideas for engaging children with nature to be implemented during events and other engagement opportunities
- Deliver education programmes in schools through educational talks and encouraging outdoor learning in school grounds
- Plan and organise educational events throughout the year
- Deliver educational sessions for early year groups
- Administration work including recording school engagement with our education programme Dinja Waħda and booking school field visits at our nature reserves
Wider education team
- Support the work of the wider education team including international projects, wildlife gardens in school grounds and other community engagement
- Support the delivery of teacher training workshops and school events
- Develop Klabb Ħuttaf (children) membership offers and supporting delivery of programme
- Collaborate with Events Assistant to deliver a programme of events targeting families, children and youths.
- Develop visitor experience and engagement at all nature reserves
- Attend weekly literacy sessions for early year students our nature reserves
Administration and office communication
- Attend regular meetings with the Education Manager to review progress and plan ahead
- Attend regular education meetings
- Compile an end-of-year report for volunteering assistants
- Support the Education Manager with any additional administration tasks when requested
- Writing of blogs, articles, Facebook posts and monthly newsletters
NATURE RESERVES VISITOR ASSISTANT
In this role you will assist in the opening of the reserves to the general public, working and ensuring visitors enjoy a pleasant experience. The chosen applicants will work at our nature reserves (Għadira, Simar, Foresta 2000 and Salina) reporting to the Site Warden and Reserves Manager. Training on the history of the sites and the flora and fauna of the reserves will be provided. Duties will include:
- Assisting in opening BirdLife Malta’s nature reserves to the public in the afternoon/evening, including on weekends if necessary
- Setting up the display within the reception centre at the reserves
- Preparing the nature shop at the reserves
- Setting up binoculars before the reserve opening hours
- Greeting visitors at the reserves and giving a basic explanation about the nature reserve, its history, flora and fauna
- Managing a small shop and promoting sales whilst encouraging membership to BirdLife Malta
- Compiling visitor statistics and gathering feedback from visitors
- Participating in regular events held at the nature reserve with the aim of educating visitors towards more environmental appreciation
- Taking visitors around the reserve, which could entail walking on uneven terrain even during summer
Should the reserves be closed to the public for certain periods, especially the summer months, the applicants are expected to report at the nature reserves in order to assist the managing warden in the implementation of the work plan for the site. Such work has a physical aspect relating to the upgrade and maintenance of the habitat, as well as an element of research with ongoing studies on the flora and fauna of the sites.
Please download and fill in the application form, making it clear which position you are applying for.
For the Education Assistant position completed applications should be returned to email@example.com with subject: Application for European Solidarity Corps Education Assistant together with an updated CV.
For the Nature Reserves Visitor Assistant position completed applications should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: Application for European Solidarity Corps Nature Reserves Visitor Assistant together with an updated CV.
Please note that CVs without the application form filled in will not be considered.
We highly recommend that you visit our website at www.birdlifemalta.org for further information before applying.
Applications close on Monday 24th August 2020 at 17:00 CET. Telephone/Skype interviews will take place shortly afterwards. Expected start date 1st October 2020.
Please note that incomplete and/or late applications will not be taken into consideration.